Santa Barbara Celebrates Its Fifth Homeless Foot Washing On Thursday
Santa Barbara Celebrates
Its Fifth Homeless Foot Washing on Thursday
By Wayne M. Mellinger, Ph.D.
Life on the street can be very hard on the feet
for many of our neighbors without permanent housing.
Yet on the Thursday before Easter in Santa
Barbara there is an interfaith tradition in which the feet of the homeless are
washed and garnished with new shoes and socks.
This pampering is the Santa Barbara Homeless Foot Washing and it is
celebrating its fifth year this Thursday, April 5 at the Veteran’s Memorial
Building on Cabrillo Boulevard in Santa Barbara.
It is a large, festive community event with
over a dozen social service organizations, about 100 volunteers and over 250 of
our neighbors on the streets participating.
Given that a continental breakfast is served and a healthy lunch handed
out, it is a little bit like Thanksgiving in April!
The foot washing takes place on Maundy Thursday, the day on which, according to the Gospel of John, Jesus washed his disciple's feet. As with other springtime festivals, there’s an emphasis on the regenerative powers of rebirth. We hope to help some people make vital connections with outreach workers and service providers so they could begin the process of getting off the street. The new shoes are symbolic of that fresh start and new beginning we hope to initiate.
The event
reconnects the local community in an intimate and humbling
way. The act of
washing one another's feet transforms both parties. For volunteers, it re-kindles compassion for
some of
most weary and displaced people in our city. For the people
having
their feet washed it demonstrates that someone really cares. As
the
two parties bond they are reminded of the importance of
simple acts of
kindness.
Through these
simple acts, the stereotypes that both groups have of
each other are
broken. The volunteers report learning
about
the diversity of people on the streets, including many that work,
have
families and do not use substances. Those on the streets
report learning that
more “housed” people care about their plight than they thought.
Clergy from
many different faith traditions, including mainline Protestant, Evangelical,
Roman Catholic, Unitarian, and Jewish, will say or have said prayers at the
event. Rev. Jon Lemmond, a pastor at the
Montecito Covenant Church, instructs the foot washers and helps to create a
holy tone to the setting. Medical
professionals from Doctors Without Walls will triage any medical issues and
ensure the sanitation of the foot washing.
Some of the
social service providers that will be at the event include: Noah’s Anchorage
YMCA Youth Crisis Shelter, Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinics, the Santa
Barbara Housing Authority, Pacific Pride, Legal Aid, the Independent Living Resource
Center, Santa Barbara Public Health’s Healthcare for the Homeless, Restorative
Policing, Parish Nursing, the Safe Parking Program and the Veteran’s
Administration.
While amicable
chitchat fills the foot washing room, one can feel the deep contemplative mood
of many of the foot washers and their recipients. Some people even break into tears at the
overflowing of love that permeates the event.
I was initially surprised that many people truly loved washing feet and was
reluctant to give up their wash stations to another volunteer.
In 2008, while
working as a social worker for WillBridge of Santa Barbara, I came up with the
idea of having a foot washing. I
wanted
to create an event that would alter the way “housed”
people perceive those
without housing. I believe that the
stigmatization that those without permanent housing face is one of their
greatest challenges, a sentiment recently endorsed by Sarah Miller McCune, local
philanthropist and founder of SAGE Publications, at a meeting of the Homeless
Activist Luncheon in Santa Barbara.
Let me share
how I got the idea for the foot washing. One Saturday morning in
the winter of
2008 while riding my bike from Stearns Wharf to the
bird refuge, I noticed all
the happy people enjoying a pleasant day in
the sun. Joggers, parents
with strollers, and tourists on rented
bikes made the bike path particularly
crowded that day. The volleyball courts were filled with college kids and
two groups of
Latino men were having a soccer game.
As I walked
around the bird refuge afterwards reflecting on my morning
ride, I realized there
were many people I had failed to
notice. As a street outreach worker
I had previously met many people
who camped out at the dunes between the
Cabrillo Bathhouse and the
public restrooms. I learned that many of
these folks were not
doing well and avoided going to shelters
and other
serving-providing agencies.
Overrun by
trauma or the stress of living
on the streets, or overcome with emotional
anguish and self-medicating
with various substances, some of them carved out a
meager existence in
these mounds of sand, semi-hidden from the world.
I
wondered whether or not anyone was in the dunes that day, and
decided to look
more closely on my way back.
Walking my
bike along
that stretch of Chase Palm Park, I counted eleven people
who
seemed to be camped at the beach and clearly visible from the
bike
path. Several of these people I had even met before doing outreach
work.
Reflecting further on my morning ride, I wondered how often
the
“housed and doing relatively well” fail to notice
those who are
suffering and living on the streets? If I as
a street outreach worker
could simply “not see” these folks, I
imagined many others also don’t see
them.
The fast pace
of
modern life has created blasé attitudes and selective perceptions in
which
we almost unknowingly avoid noticing those who are suffering.
I wondered what
could be done so that we might see the suffering all
around us.
The idea of
having a foot washing for our neighbors on the streets
came out of that morning
bike ride. I
decided to create an event that would alter the way
“housed”
people perceive those without housing.
There is a
new spirit of change in the realm of “street life” in Santa Barbara. Many
of the key players are transitioning into new roles. Many of the old
institutions are morphing into new shapes. An influx of new ideas and new
people is changing the scene of the politics of homelessness in Santa
Barbara. Many of us are facing the new reality that smaller budgets mean
that volunteers must now play important roles in all non-profits. In its
small way the Santa Barbara Homeless Foot Washing symbolizes the new beginning
that we hope to offer those on the streets as they begin towards moving
towards self-sufficiency. It is a great community celebration!
Wayne Martin
Mellinger, Ph.D. is a social justice writer / activist / and educator living in
Santa Barbara and teaching at Antioch University Santa Barbara. He works as a social worker for the
homeless. Check out his blog “Our
Neighbors on the Streets”. He is helping
to build a new organization of homeless people called “SEAT At the Table”.
Comments
Post a Comment